I received a call from Barry this evening and he updated me on several aspects of the ministry there.
- Lisa is still in Florida and the situation is ongoing. There is no time table set for her return to Honduras as her parent’s situation is still unstable.
- One of the previous Lighthouse children that has been living in the world for years now has been in contact with Barry and has returned to church recently. She has expressed a desire to return to living for the Lord and has been placed with her 2 year old son in the mountain church with Pastor Augusto and his wife for mentoring since Lisa is not at home.
- Ruis, the evangelist working in Nicaragua and Cuba has returned to Honduras with a wonderful report.
- His wounds on his feet from diabetes are healing much better than anticipated. Thankfully he has been provided with the right medicine to help get this under control.
- His recent trip to Cuba yielded much fruit. Most of the 12,000 Bibles have been distributed with many salvation decisions both among the military as well as the public.
The General and his family were baptized (Wife, brother and sister-in-law, sister-in-law and brother-in-law, and son) They have all made some obvious signs of spiritual growth. The General has decided to take his meals WITH the enlisted soldiers and is now seeking to minister to them and strives to help them with their personal lives. The Sister-in-law has had a change of heart concerning Americans and has made plans to donate property to Honduras missions for the purpose of building a church in Cuba.
- Ruis has plans to return to Cuba on June 6 to continue the outreach and discipling.
- In Nicaragua a second church plant has begun.
- Pastor Augusto’s students in the mountain church have started their own business because getting a job means that they will miss church. The have started making and distributing banana chips to the local markets and schools. It is apparently going well and they are able to support themselves AND continue to be faithful to the church services and ministries.
- Financially things are very tight, down to $18 in the account. They are down to less than 20 supporting churches. (I was able to bless him with good news in this area at the end of our conversation. Our support check will go into his bank on Monday! The cruise of oil and barrel of meal haven’t failed and the Lord always takes care of his own.)
- There was an accident with the “old” KIA last week when Lenin and Alberto were up on the mountain on an errand. It ended up hitting a concrete culvert and destroying the frame once and for all (had been welded over 20 times). It will take about $1200 for a frame and then a lot of man hours to transfer all of the parts over. Lenin is studying auto mechanics and this could be a good project for him if the money is available for the frame.
Always pray for the Ritchies! They always have something going on and need lots of prayer.